Since the majority of Vancouver community centres closed in March, the network has been working diligently towards a cautious and strategic recovery of services within all Vancouver communities. As such, the KitsCC team are delighted to announce the return of priority services at Kitsilano Community Centre starting September 8th with a gradual rollout over the proceeding weeks of identified programs. This approach will allow for the operations team to adapt to the unpredictable challenges COVID19 has and may impose on the Centre moving forward.
Priority services that were identified throughout the network include children, youth, and senior user groups; that being said, we are ecstatic to announce registration is open on September 3rd.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Will there be a Recreation Guide for Fall 2020 classes?
A Recreation Guide will not be produced for Fall classes. Please visit recreation.vancouver.ca and filter for Kitsilano Community Centre classes, or for a list of classes.
2. Why don’t I see my usual class on the list?
The reopening of Community Centre focuses on priority programming for children, youth and seniors. The staff have worked with their instructors to see if their classes can adapt to changes such as maximum class sizes, time of class, different rooms, and necessary equipment. As we work through new procedures, staff will review adding more classes.
3. When and where can I register for classes?
Registration begins September 3 – online at 9am, over-the-phone at 12pm and September 8 at 9am at Kitsilano Community Centre. We encourage debit and credit card payments for any in-person transactions.
4. Can I still drop-in to classes?
Many classes will not have a drop-in option available due to the reduced number of spaces in class. Details on how to drop-in will be listed in the course description, if it is an available option.
5. What changes can I expect when I arrive at the Community Centre?
You will see notable changes at Kitsilano Community Centre. We have implemented new policies and procedures to ensure patrons are able to social distance.
- Each patron is to self-assess their health. If you are feeling or showing any symptoms (fever, cough, difficulty breathing, runny nose, etc), do not enter the building.
- Be cognizant of new signage including new flow of traffic, social distancing reminders, new maximum capacities for classroom and washrooms, and exits.
- Check your receipt and review which entrance to use for your class. (Gymnasium, Lobby Room & Snowy’s Lounge – Larch St Entrance; Dance Studio – Upper back entrance by Playground; Fitness Centre – Lower Fitness Centre entrance)
- Smaller class sizes
- Check-in to your class no earlier than 5 minutes prior to start time. Be ready to begin, as access to washrooms may be limited.
- Limited shared equipment – please bring your own equipment to use during the class (mat, weight, bands, towel)
6. Do I need to wear a mask?
Although masks are not mandatory in the Community Centre, we recommend wearing them while inside the Community Centre as much as possible. This includes hallways and areas where social distancing may not be possible.
7. Is your Fitness Centre open?
The Fitness Centre is now open at reduced hours. You must pre-book your workout time slot. Please note that the sauna and whirlpool will not re-open during this phase of Centre reactivations.
8. Is your Ice Rink open?
Please visit https://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/coronavirus-affected-park-facilities-and-services.aspx to check when Kitsilano Ice Rink will be re-opened.