TLC is an exciting recreation based program for high functioning youth with Special Needs (primarily developmental delays). Within this variety recreation program, the participants have the opportunity to further develop and build upon their life skills and interests in an environment that encourages socialization. The program focuses on maximizing individual strengths in a positive and supportive environment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Liaises & works with the senior recreation staff at Kitsilano Community Centre
- Works jointly with program leaders to provide safe activities, leadership & supervision for youth (13-18yrs) in a variety of recreation setting
- Organizes, leads and supervises activities and out-trips
- Encourages positive behavior through teaching, encouragement, modeling/mentoring and natural/logical consequence methods.
- Assists with program promotion, client intake and liaison with with MCFD.
- Maintains proactive and responsive communication with parents, youth, co-workers and volunteers
- Responds effectively to emergencies, first aid needs and unusual incidents, combined with appropriate documentation and follow up
- Maintains designated program storage space and cleans up after program room use
- Assists with direction for 3rd worker
- Assists with reports and administrative needs of the TLC program including managing a daily budget, overseeing weekly petty cash usage & reporting, coordinating the collection of participants’ waiver forms and ensuring daily sign-in & sign-out of participants
- Promotes programs including detailed monthly activity schedules
- Other related duties as assigned
- Related post-secondary education related to special needs and/or youth
- Preferred Bachelors’ Degree in Social Work, Education or Child and Youth Care or a related discipline and three years’ experience in a related
- Or a diploma in Social Services with extensive experience working with youth with special needs
- Previous experience working effectively with youth with special needs in a group setting
- Demonstrated effective organizational, supervisory, inter-personal and communications skills
- Diverse knowledge of suitable activities and outings
- Understands effective approaches and strategies, to assist and support the participants
- Demonstrated ability to deal with emergencies, unusual incidents and behavior challenges
- Ability to work effectively as a positive team member
- Demonstrates high levels of initiative and prudent judgement
- Current emergency first aid & CPR certification required
- Current Food Safe certification and a current Class 4 license, is desirable.
Required conditions for consideration
- Subject to successful clearance of police record check including vulnerable sectors search.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
Terms of Employment
- $23.27/hour + 4% vacation pay, including stat holiday pay when applicable
- April 1, 2019 to March 31, 2020, with possibility of extension depending on grant funding from MCFD
- 28-35 hours/week; schedule is dependent on needs of program and school schedules (may include some evenings and weekends)
Please forward your cover letter & resume, via mail or email (as one PDF) by Friday, March 22, 2019 at 12pm to:
Kitsilano Community Centre Attn: Recreation Programmer
Re: TLC Program Supervisor Application
Mail: 2690 Larch Street, Vancouver, BC V6K 4K9